The U.S. Mission in Abuja, is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position in the General Services Office (GSO):
Job Title: Automotive Mechanic
Announcement Number: Abuja-2018-045
Work Hours: Full-Time; 48 hours/week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
click HERE to Join internship whatsapp group
click HERE to Join job alerts whatsapp group
click HERE to Join scholarship alert whatsapp group
- Under the direct supervision of the Automotive Supervisor, incumbent serves as the journeyman mechanic performing major and minor overhaul and repair work on all motor vehicles in the General Services Office (GSO).
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School is required
- Four (4) years of automotive mechanic experience which includes one (1) year of journeyman experience in automotive mechanics is required.
- Must have full journeyman knowledge of established practices and procedures of one of the principal trades involved in automotive mechanics and a general knowledge of the other trade specialties involved.
- Language: Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required. Language proficiency will be tested
- Must be able to handle all tools including electronic diagnostic and automotive specials tools required for the trade, as well as adhere to instructions and safety regulations.
- Ability to use applicable automotive software to diagnose issues that might affect vehicles, as well as ability to lift at least 20kg is required. Must have basic computer skills and a valid Nigeria driver’s license class B or D.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass security certifications.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
- When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
NGN 3,736,693 / USD 28,945
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174) , or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Application letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluation for the position
- Degree without transcript (if applicable)
- Certificates and License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
- E – mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
Submit application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
Application Deadline: 15th May, 2018.
Note: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.