The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Advisor
Reports directly to: The Director of Programs and SRMNH
Nigeria’s maternal mortality rate of 576 deaths for every 100,000 live births accounts for approximately 19% of the global burden of maternal deaths–second only to India. This represents approximately 58,000 maternal deaths per year. Family planning (FP) methods are a proven and cost-effective intervention to reduce maternal mortality, but use in Nigeria is limited: only 15% of married women of reproductive age use contraceptives, and 10% use a modern method.1 These figures have remained stagnant since 2008, due to a variety of barriers to access, including a lack of female empowerment throughout Nigeria. Across the country, and particularly in rural areas in the North, young women and adolescents are unable to make decisions regarding their reproductive health and family size and to pursue educational and economic opportunities.
To address these challenges, CHAI has launched a new program in partnership with the Federal and State Ministries of Health to empower adolescents and women to better manage and make informed decisions about their reproductive health, including pregnancy and safe childbirth. The program will build on previous program successes in Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, and use a multi-pronged approach to increase the contraceptive prevalence rate and utilization of reproductive health services in both the public and private sectors. To achieve this, CHAI will also support development of policies for the economic, social and health empowerment of adolescents and young women to better enable these groups to access reproductive health services and information. By increasing access to and uptake of SRH services, the project aims to reduce rates of unintended pregnancies, unsafe abortions, and ultimately, maternal deaths.
- We are seeking a gender expert based in Abuja to support the SRH team to review all program activities with a focus on gender mainstreaming, ensuring strategies are gender sensitive and targeted toward women’s empowerment.
- We are seeking highly motivated individuals with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication skills.
- The candidate must have a thorough understanding of the gender landscape in Northern Nigeria, particularly as it relates to access to healthcare.
- He/she must be able to advise on the strategic direction and implementation of this program at the national level and to build strong relationships with government officials, private and public partners.
- Additionally, successful candidates will adhere to the CHAI values of: resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, flexibility, independence, humility, and work ethic.
- Support overall program strategy development and implementation, ensuring gender is mainstreamed into all activities
- Support data analysis for the gender assessment and project baseline assessment, leading the team to summarize and report key findings in areas related to gender and women’s empowerment
- Using gender assessment findings, recommend interventions and refine program activities to ensure a gender focus
- Track and measure overall program progress against gender indicators
- Inform the development of performance management indicators for gender mainstreaming in the project
- Support the design, pilot and scale up a rural salesforce program to empower local women in the communities as SRH agents for expanded access to young women and girls
- Contribute to donor deliverables and other external communications to report on progress toward gender goals and highlight key program successes.
- Advise Senior Management on key gender considerations for program team and management within CHAI
- Any other task as requested by the Director Programs & SRH, and Country Director.
Application Closing Date
29th May, 2018.
click HERE to Join internship, job alerts, and scholarship alerts whatsapp group