TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
Course(s) Offered: Natural sciences
Course Level: Graduate (PhD fellowships)
Provider: TWAS, USM
Country to Study in: Malaysia
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), and its partner organization, the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), offer the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme for international students.
The TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme is for young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue studies towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences at the Universiti Sains Malaysia. Applicants must hold an MSc as a minimum degree, and also must not be above the approved age limit. Under this program, there is no sandwich option.
Applications are sought and invited from suitably qualified candidates from developing countries by TWAS and USM, for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme. All applications must be submitted before the announced deadline date.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences.
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS). Requests for Acceptance Letters must be directed to Prof. Rozman Hj Din, Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) (at emails: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org ) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The acceptance letter must come from the IPS Dean (and not from any Head of Department or supervisors at USM).
- In contacting the IPS Dean applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with ALL the following documents:
- copy of an updated CV;
- a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 5 pages);
- scanned copies of certificates, academic transcripts (certified true copy of Bachelor and Master degree certificates) with CGPA 3.5 and above and related credentials;
- two referee letters;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English (TOFEL or IELTS);
- a scanned copy of the front page of their publications.
- Only requests for acceptance letters that contain ALL the above required documents will be processed by the IPS, USM.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English (TOFEL or IELTS).
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Citizens of ANY developing country (EXCEPT Malaysia)
TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
Fields of study
Fellowships are for studies leading to a PhD degree in the natural sciences. The language of instruction is English. Approved fields are:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
Tenable for a period of up to three years (renewable yearly)
USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
Method of Application
Applicants can apply for preliminary acceptance letters from their chosen host institutes under the chosen fellowship programme well before the opening date of the call (please see eligibility above). The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM that must be approved by the relevant USM School. Upon receipt of the USM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will need to contact in due course the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) of USM to apply for the final offer letter. In case the application for the final offer letter of admission is not approved by USM, the award will become null and void.
The academic year in Malaysia begins in September and the second semester in February of each year, following the year of application. Candidates will enrol for their PhD at a USM department/laboratory and must observe USM’s academic calendar and be ready to start their fellowship on the first day of classes/courses.
STARTING IN 2018 APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTAL- PLEASE USE THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OFFICIAL PAGE (link to it is below) TO START YOUR APPLICATION.
Opening date for this fellowship is 1st June 2018, while the closing date is 31 August 2018
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) aims for the advancement of science in developing countries. TWAS is an autonomous international organization, founded in 1983 in Trieste, Italy, by a distinguished group of scientists from the South to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.
University of Science, Malaysia (Universiti Sains Malaysia; aka USM) is a public university in Malaysia. There are three campuses: one on the island of Penang (Main Campus), one in Kelantan (Health Campus), and one in Nibong Tebal (Engineering Campus).
Application Deadline: 31 August 2018
Open to International Applicants: Yes
click HERE to Join internship, job alerts, and scholarship alerts whatsapp group